Fraud is a common occurrence, especially in the financial services industry. Fraud can happen to any company and it does not always mean cash or other valuable/negotiable assets are taken. Hilltop’s Fraud & Forensics team provides services that address fraud controls, investigations and fraud mitigation efforts (once a fraud has occurred or there is a significant vulnerability). Our services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- assessing “prevent” controls which include having a fraud policy, Management communications regarding awareness, specific fraud risks and controls to prevent identified,
- assessing monitor/detect controls for effectiveness (monitoring efforts are performed, potential risks identified/reported to Management, actions taken, “complete resolution” occurs),
- assessing internal or external resources used to investigate potential fraud situations, assess the procedures used, the data analyses completed, hardware and software reviewed, etc. to reach a conclusion regarding the fraud existence and impact,
- assessing Management’s mitigation efforts for any fraud or significant vulnerability which includes assessing any new policies, procedures, prevention/detection activities and reporting, and
- assisting with design and implementation of specific policies, procedures, monitoring efforts and/or mitigation activities.